Saturday, May 08, 2004

Shipmate Lost

The US Patrol Corvette Firebolt was conducting security and anti-piracy opperations near Iraq on April 24. The boarding team attempted to board a small vessel, which turned out to be an Al-Quaeda suicide boat....likely heading for a neaby oil-rig. The hostile vessels crew blew themselves up, in the process, killing three US sailors, one of whom was Petty Officer Nathan Bruckenthal, USCG a member of our unit.
Coast Guard crews are being worked into the compliments of the PCs as the plan is to transfer them to the Coast Guard and the Phillipine Navy by the end of the year. Nate went through Command and Leadership class with me last year and although I did not know him well, he seemed like a really nice fellow. (He helped me get up the stairs after I tore up my knee). He is survived by his wife Patty, and his parrents.

He was the Coast Guards first loss to enemy action since the Viet-Nam War.


Any donations for his wife can be sent to :
Nathan Bruckenthal Memorial Trust Fund
P.O. Box 398
Northport, NY 11768

**********************
Semper Paratus


Update: I found out recently that PO Bruckenthal was NOT the 'Nate" I went through the class with. He was from another LEDET entirely the confusion arose in part because our people were on Firebolt until very recently.....
While a relief, this is of no consolation to his family :(